You must have heard that a healthy lifestyle is necessary for both partners while planning to conceive. But a fertility diet also plays a very important role in preparing the body for a healthy pregnancy and boosting one’s fertility. Since fertility problems can be triggered by underlying medical conditions, dietary changes can often make an enormous difference or even remedy the problem. A healthy fertility diet plan enriched with nutrients promotes healthy fertility and reproductive function, nourishes the body, and prepares it for a healthy pregnancy. There are a number of aspects of fertility and conception that are influenced by and even depend on good nutrition. Here are some of the best foods that help to improve one’s fertility.
Nutrition for a better fertility health.
- Foods that are high in protein or iron or both like leafy greens, meat, seeds and beans are good for female fertility, especially for women with heavy periods or endometriosis. It’s also important to eat fruits and vegetables rich in Vitamin C which helps absorb iron from different foods.
- According to studies, high blood sugar or insulin levels appear to inhibit ovulation. So, good carbohydrate sources like whole grains and vegetables with fiber are preferable as they digest gradually.
- Cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower or kale contain di-indolyl methane (DIM)- a phytochemical that can aid in better metabolizing of estrogen.
- Foods packed with Vitamin E like nuts, avocado, seeds, and olive oil are great for follicular development while zinc can help with the production of progesterone. The body also needs B vitamins for egg release and implantation.
Advantages of diet during pregnancy.
- Nutrition is extremely important for a pregnant woman since her body is also responsible for the nourishment and growth of the baby. Regular exercise, prenatal care and a healthy diet reduces the risk of pregnancy complications and also increases the chances of successful birth of a healthy child.
- There are many pregnancy symptoms like morning sickness, mood swings, and fatigue that can be minimized through the right foods. A nutrient-packed and balanced pregnancy diet can also ensure a healthy birth weight, good fetal brain development and prevent many birth defects and deficiencies. Foods rich in proteins, healthy fats, iron, folic acid, and vitamin C are especially important at this stage.
Importance of nutrition for fertility health.
- Our body needs some dense nutrients and phytochemicals to promote optimal blood, egg and sperm health as well as proper hormone production and balance. What we eat directly impacts the constitution of our body and it can improve or aggravate imbalances, underlying medical conditions or bodily deficiencies. Improper ovulation is a common cause of infertility and it can be corrected with the right dietary changes. Research shows that a consistent fertility diet comprising of whole grains, organic fruits and vegetables, seafood and poultry leads to better semen quality in men and improved fertility in women.
- Antioxidants can help boost male fertility while long chain omega-3 fatty acids is beneficial for female fertility. Studies suggest that a regular high intake of supplemental folic acid and folate-rich foods can help lower the risk of infertility issues and pregnancy loss and prevent neural tube defects. Soy foods and supplements can also aid in infertility treatment.
So, your diet plays a significant role not only during pregnancy but also in promoting fertility and aiding infertility treatment. Consult our doctors and nutrition experts at Manipal Fertility to find out if you are suffering from any deficiencies and choose which fertility diet best suits your needs