We all know regular exercise is beneficial for a healthy lifestyle, but did you know exercise can play an important role during conception? We don’t usually hear people recommending exercise to conceive fast or think about it ourselves, surprisingly exercise can be boon in fertility health. Though, physical activity is not just great for your body and overall health, it can also improve your reproductive potential and help with various infertility problems.
It is known that bodyweight plays an important part in our fertility. Being either overweight or underweight can affect your chances of getting pregnant and can also be an indication of underlying health problems. Exercise helps a great deal in maintaining a healthy weight range and good fitness levels- factors that contribute to a healthy pregnancy.
How can exercise contribute to fertility health?
- Regular exercise has shown to help with anovulatory infertility and increase the chances of conceiving with ART. It can also reduce the risk of miscarriage.
- In a study of 520 men published in the Journal of Andrology, it was found that the subjects with high BMI had from lower motile sperm counts. According to another retrospective study of men, obese patients were more likely to suffer from oligozoospermia compared to subjects with normal BMI. So, regular moderate exercise can help men with infertility too by managing their weight and improving sperm quality.
- The lack of physical activity and regular movement, coupled with a sedentary lifestyle is very closely related to excess weight. Women with PCOS also struggle with obesity often. The fat cells produce around 30% of estrogen in a woman’s body, so obesity can lead to excess estrogen. It can also lead to insulin resistance which affects the hormone system including reproductive hormones. A balanced diet may not be enough to combat these problems. Exercise can help regularise the menstrual cycle and keep the body in balance.
- According to a systematic review of seven studies published in Sports Medicine, normal ovulation resumed in overweight women with PCOS or anovulatory infertility after exercise, with or without diet, was incorporated in their routines.
- Light or moderate exercise and activity can also improve the emotional wellness and quality of life in healthy men and women. They can help with body-image issues, depression, and anxiety and build confidence and positivity.
Best Exercise for Fertility Improvements:
It’s important to note that you don’t need to rush into intense physical training and exercise to boost your fertility and improve reproductive potential. Even increasing overall activity will help the body ease into a healthier pattern. It’s advisable to include around 30 minutes of moderately intense exercise in your daily routine. Moderate cardio exercises or activities such as jogging, skipping, running or cycling and swimming are good options. Yoga is also becoming a popular approach to aid along with other techniques for infertility problems. Yoga and
Pilates are gentle forms of exercise that actually help relax and de-stress while promoting blood flow and strengthening the core muscles.
The right kind of exercise coupled with diet and treatment can lead you to a healthy pregnancy. Our expert doctors at Manipal Fertility can recommend the best treatment plan to solve your fertility problems and guide you to a healthy pregnancy and future.